There are many festivals that happen in Virginia Beach every year, but none quite like this.
The festival starts on Friday, May 11 and is slated to end on May 20.
Throughout the 10 days, the artists will be painting their individual designs and the public can view the live process during daily golf cart tours and other, special events.
Some of the businesses that will be the canvases for these artists are Three Ships Coffee Roasters, Hudson’s Luxury Building Boutique, Zero’s Subs and more!
The nonprofit group posted an open call for muralists back in March and received 88 submissions from artists in 12 states across the country. The artists that were chosen are from all over Virginia, including Virginia Beach, as well as states like California and Connecticut.
Here’s a full list of the events taking place during the festival:
- Friday, May 11 – The festival begins! Artists will arrive to ViBe Creative District and begin painting their murals.
- Saturday, May 12 through Saturday, May 19 – Daily Golf Cart Mural Tours – Times TBD. Priority seating provided to persons with disabilities. Limit 5 per tour.
- Saturday, May 12 – Art in the Park Pop-Up Art and Craft Show the ViBe Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The park is located on the corner of 18th Street and Cypress Avenue. (Rain date: May 13)
- Monday, May 14 – “Coffee Break” with the Hampton Roads artists at Commune on 17th Street from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Enjoy a cup of coffee and casual conversations with artists Scuba, Igor, TALENT Murals and Lisa Ashinoff of Virginia Beach and Charles Rasputin of Norfolk.
- Tuesday, May 15 – Artists’ Happy Hour at Esoteric on 17th Street. From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The public is welcome to come meet the mural artists in a casual social setting.
- Wednesday, May 16 – “Coffee Break” with the Richmond artists at Three Ships Coffee on 19th Street from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Enjoy a cup of coffee and casual conversations with artists Tim Skirven, Ed Trask and Caesar of 1500 Studios from Richmond.
- Thursday, May 17 – “Coffee Break” with the Visiting Artists at Badass on Cypress Avenue from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Enjoy a cup of coffee and casual conversations with artists ARCY of Connecticut and Jeremiah Kille of California.
- Thursday, May 17 – Artists’ Happy Hour at Croc’s 19th Street Bistro from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The public is welcome to meet the mural artists in a casual social setting.
- Friday, May 18 – Instagram Challenge: Visit the district during the closing weekend of the Mural Festival and tag your favorite artist and murals pics with @thevibecreativedistrict and #vibemuralfest. The Top 3 images win $100 gift certificates to your favorite ViBe business.
- Saturday, May 19 – Closing Celebration – Parking Lot Party at 1701 on Baltic Avenue from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Join the murals artists, event sponsors and ViBe business supporters to celebrate the completion of the ViBe Mural Festival presented by TowneBank. Noon artist Q & A. The parking lot party starts at 1 p.m. Five of the ten murals are visible from this location.
- Sunday, May 20 – Walking Tour of the ViBe Mural Festival from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Participants can park free at Davis Ad Agency on Baltic Ave and enjoy a guided walking tour of all 10 new murals. Tour ends at Chesapeake Bay Distillery for local spirits tasting.