CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Kroger is opening its first Chesapeake location on Wednesday, August 3.
At 8 a.m., shoppers will be welcomed into the new Greenbrier Square Kroger Marketplace store, which is located at 1653 Sentinel Drive.
On Wednesday morning, the first 500 customers will receive gift bags including an 18-count case of large Kroger eggs, Sara Lee Bread, one pound of strawberries and more.
After the grand opening, Kroger will begin the “13 Days of Giving,” offering free items to the first 250 customers in the store each day.
The 123,587-square-foot store employs more than 320 full and part-time workers, including more than 280 new hires. Some of the new team includes existing Kroger employees who chose to transfer to the new Chesapeake location.
The store fills over 90,000 square feet with everything from clothes to pet supplies, baby and infant needs, toys, bedding, housewares and home décor. The new store will also feature:
- a cheese shop from Greenwich-based Murray’s offers more than 175 varieties of cheese from across the world,
- a growler station that will rotate 12 selections of popular local and craft brews with tastings and flights available in-store,
- an expanded wine department, including a wine bar with eight wines on tap for in-store tastings
- a deli bistro that offers made-to-order Boars Head deli meat sandwiches
- a fresh salad bar,
- a gourmet brick oven pizza station,
- a sushi bar and other Pan-Asian food favorites,
- a café seating area with a fireplace and flat-screen televisions,
- a full-service drive-thru pharmacy,
- a Starbucks kiosk, including a seating area and free Wi-Fi,
- a Kroger Fuel Center and
- a community room dedicated to the fallen first responders of Chesapeake.
Kroger is also donating $6,000 to three non-profit organizations, including the City of Chesapeake’s Mayor’s Commission of Veteran Affairs, the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Chesapeake Fire Department ‘Adventure Fire AIM Mentor’ program.
Kroger will present each organization with a donation at the grand opening ribbon cutting event at 8 a.m. on August 3.