The Old Dominion University Marching Band has been in Ireland, performing in the St. Patrick’s Day parade, and yesterday they were proud to report that they won the “Best International Band” award in the Limerick International Band Championship!
According to the competition’s website, the competing bands’ performances were judged by an international panel including Prof Stanley F. Michalski (Clarion University, Pennsylvania), Dr. Andrea DeRenzis Strauss (Director of Bands / Associate Professor, Shorter University, USA), Dr. Evelyn Grant (Lecturer at Cork School of Music, Cork Pops Orchestra & RTE Lyric FM), Niall Carroll (RTE Lyric FM), Dr. James Standland (University of Southern Mississippi) and Dennis Zeisler (Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia).
The other winners include:
- Overall Parade Champion: University of Missouri, USA
- Best Youth Band: Maghery Fife and Drum Band, Donegal
- Best Local Band: St Mary’s Prize Band, Limerick
- Best Uniform: Banna Chluain Meala, Co Tipperary
- Most Entertaining Performance: Shorecrest High School Highlander Marching Band, USA
- Special Judges Award: Killorglin and District Pipe Band, Co Kerry
- Mayors Prize: Clondalkin Youth Band, Dublin
- Most improved: Redemptorist Centre of Music, Limerick
- Best Mixed Age: Dr O’Hurley Pipe Band, Cashel, Co Tipperary
- Most Colourful: Mullingar Town Band, Co Westmeath
Monarchs win “Best International Band” in the Limerick International Band Championship! @ODUnow
— MonarchMarchingBand (@ODUMMB) March 20, 2016