The Suffolk Department of Fire & Rescue — along with Local 2801 Professional Firefighters — is showing its support for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) as its members kick off the annual Fill the Boot fundraiser.
The campaign benefits kids and adults with muscular dystrophy, ALS and related muscle-debilitating diseases.
Continuing a more than 60-year tradition, 250 dedicated firefighters from Suffolk Fire & Rescue and Local 2801 Professional Firefighters have hit the streets or storefronts with boots in hand asking passersby to make a donation to MDA starting last Friday. The fundraiser continues on Aug. 18, Aug. 19, Aug. 25 and Aug. 26 at various local businesses throughout Suffolk from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
Donations will be collected at the following locations:
- Walmart, 1200 North Main Street
- Farm Fresh, 1401 North Main Street
- Chick-Fil-A, 1018 North Main Street
- Food Lion, 1010 Portsmouth Boulevard
- 7-Eleven, 1060 Portsmouth Boulevard
- Food Lion, 1575 Holland Road
- Walmart, 6259 College Drive
- Kroger, 1017 University Boulevard
- Chick-Fil-A, 6212 College Drive
- Food Lion, 2815 Godwin Boulevard
- 7-Eleven, 1000 Centerbrooke Lane
- Duck Thru, 6273 Holland Road
- Dollar General, 6513 Holland Road
- Speedway, 1129 Carolina Road
- J and L, 6500 Whaleyville Boulevard
- 7-Eleven, 6020 Godwin Boulevard
- Farm Fresh, 3675 Bridge Road
- Food Lion, 3215 Bridge Road
If you can’t make it to a collection site or don’t have cash on hand, there’s a new “text to donate” feature for this years’ campaign. Using your cell phone, you can make a secure online donation by texting BOOT50 to 71777. Text to Donate will be running throughout the entire campaign.
“We are thrilled to be working with Suffolk Department and Rescue and Local 2801 Professional Firefighters for another year of Fill the Boot to help provide the funds needed to find treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases that severely limit strength and mobility,” said Fundraising Coordinator Darcy Warren. “The dedication of these fire fighters to MDA’s mission is unwavering, spending countless hours both with Fill the Boot and MDA Summer Camp to care for the kids and adults in Suffolk. We know that their devotion to our families will make this year’s drive a success.”