It’s time for a little steakhouse in your house! One of the classic steakhouse pairings of a filet mignon and a robust full-bodied red wine gets even better when the steak is topped off with a decadent gorgonzola cream sauce (recipe below).
Throw in some rosemary and truffle potato wedges on the side and you’ll bring the steakhouse experience to your house at a fraction of the price. With all the money you saved, why not splurge on an excellent bottle of wine and treat your loved one to a romantic night in. All of the decadent, earthy aromas of rosemary and truffles are simply perfect on a chilly night.
For my Napa Cab lovers out there, if you are looking to mix it up a little, a Rioja from Spain or a Malbec from Argentina are excellent alternatives for this pairing. A little tip, when ordering wine at a steakhouse, look to these two regions for a great value.
Here are my 5 favorite varietals to serve up with filet mignon w/gorgonzola cream sauce:
- Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa, Bordeaux)
- Rioja Reserva
- Syrah (works particularly well with a bacon wrapped filet)
Here are a few excellent choices that work great with this dish ranging from everyday value wines to premium selections.
- Ben Marco Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina (SRP: 20)
- Muga Reserva, Rioja, Spain (SRP: $25)
- Worthy Cabernet, Napa (SRP: $30)
- Pride Mountain Merlot, Napa (SRP: $60)
- Jordan Cabernet, Alexander Valley, California (SRP: $65)
- (4) 1 & 1/2 inch thick Filet Mignon, season with Napa Style Gray Salt & pepper
- 4 cups half & half
- 6 oz gorgonzola
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. blk. pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cut rosemary (fine chop)
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes (sliced into wedges – 8 per potato)
- 1/4 cup truffle oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons fresh cut rosemary (fine chop)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into wedges and place in medium saucepan covered in water and par-boil for 15 minutes. While potatoes are boiling, place cookie sheet in oven to preheat. The hot surface will help the potatoes crisp up. Drain potatoes and pat dry. Toss potatoes in truffle oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder & rosemary. Put in oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden on both sides. Flip half-way through.
- When you place potatoes in the oven, place a cast iron skillet on the other rack and let pre-heat for 20 minutes. Take skillet out of oven and place over medium-high flame.
- Place seasoned filet in the skillet, let brown for 2 minutes and sear on the other side for 2 minutes. Place skillet back in oven for 4-5 minutes for medium rare.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are in the oven, you can start the gorgonzola sauce. Bring half & half to a boil over a medium-high flame and let boil for 30 minutes stirring occasionally until sauce becomes thick. Remove from heat and add gorgonzola, salt, pepper & rosemary. Keep warm until ready to spoon over filet!
For more inspiration, perfect pairings, video tutorials and sips & tips, sign-up for the Crystal Palate member site. Cheers!