Craft beer has hit a big boom here in Hampton Roads with over 20 breweries operating in the area.
Recently, the Virginia Craft Brewers Guild held an awards ceremony recognizing the best brews in the Commonwealth.
More than 240 breweries took part in the Virginia Craft Beer Cup which was held in Richmond.
356 beers in 24 categories entered the competition.
Of those 356 beers, Norfolk’s Smartmouth is now home to the best beer in Virginia winning the Best in Show top prize.
The following are the rest of the awards the region took home:
- 1st place – Strong British Ale – Barnfind Barleywine
- 3rd place – International Lager & Strong Euro Beer – Ghost Rider Porter
St. George Brewing
- 1st place – British Pale Ale – Summer Ale
Oozlefinch Craft Brewing
- 2nd place – German Wheat Beer – Lady in White
- 1st place – Specialty Beer – Trial of Dmitri
- 3rd place – Scottish & Irish Ale – Red Maiden
- 3rd place – Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer – Baja Roasted Ale
- 2nd place – Amber & Brown American Beer – Quiet Storm
- 3rd place – Standard American Beer – Breakwater
- 1st place – Best of Show (Top Award) – Safety Dance
- 1st place – Pale Bitter European Beer – Safety Dance
- 2nd place – Amber & Dark European Lager – Sea to Sea
- 3rd place – Pale American Beer – GFB
- 3rd place – Strong American Ale – West Coast IPA
- 2nd place – Specialty Beer – Haagen Dog Stout
- 1st place – Pale Malty European Lager – Weekend Lager
- 1st place – Scottish and Irish Ale Smoothbore – 3rd Place
All these beers are featured in the breweries’ tasting rooms. Get out and try some award-winning beer!