Here’s a list of all the places you can kayak in Hampton Roads. Kayaking is a fun and exciting activity that you can perform by exploring the inner waterways or out in the ocean. If you already have a kayak, here’s a list of places to take off.
- Intercoastal Waterway: Dismal Swamp Canal – 3825 Dismal Swamp Canal Trail 23322
- Deep Creek Lock Park 217–399 Luray Street 23323
- Chesapeake Campground Launch – 660 George Washington Hwy South 23323
- Great Bridge Lock Park 1 – 106 N Battlefield Boulevard 23320
- Great Bridge Lock Park 2 – 2599 Locks Road 23320
- North West River: Bob’s Fishing Hole – 4243 Battlefield Blvd South 23322
- Indian Creek Road Small Boat Launch – 1385–1399 Indian Creek Road 23322
- Baum Road Small Boat Launch – 2201–2233 Baum Road 23322
- North West River Park – 1733 Indian Creek Road 23322
- Cape Charles Beach – Bay Ave. Cape Charles 23310
- Fisherman’s Island/Wise Boat Ramp – Ramp Road, Cape Charles 23310
- Kiptopeke State Park – Cape Charles 23310
- Oyster Harbor Boat Ramp – Cape Charles 23310
- Cape Charles Boat Landing – Marina Road, Cape Charles 23310
- Willis Wharf Harbor – 5210-5301 Willis Wharf Road, Exmore 23350
- Harborton Landing – 14244-14266 Shore Drive, Harborton 23389
- Wachapreague Town Marina – Atlantic Avenue, Wachapreague 23480
- Onancock Wharf and Marina – Mt Prospect Avenue, Onancock 23417
- Capphostic Landing
- Cedar Bush, Oliver’s Landing
- Cherry Point Landing
- Deep Point Landing
- Field’s Landing
- Glass Point Landing
- Gloucester Point Beach Park
- Guinea Landing
- John’s Point Landing
- Miller’s Landing
- Payne’s Landing
- Severn Landing
- Tanyard Landing
- Warehouse Landing
- Sunset Creek Boat Ramp – 91 Marina Road 23669
- Huntington Park Launch – Riverpark Rd 23607
- Hoopes Landing Denbigh Park – 3 Denbigh Blvd. 23608
- Peterson Yacht Basin – 16th St. 23607
- Elizabeth River Boat Landing & Park – 103 Poindexter Street 23324
- Haven Creek Boat Ramp – 4001 Llewellyn Avenue 23504
- 45th Street Boat Ramp/Marina – W 45th Street 23508
- Lafayette City Park Boat Ramp – 3500 Granby Street 23504
- Sarah Constant Shrine Beach – 300 W Ocean View Ave 23503
- Captains Quarters Nature Center Park – 800 Little Bay Avenue 23503
- Willoughby Boat Ramp – 1311 Bayville Street 23503
- Brumley Road Knotts Island – 201 Brumley Road, Knotts Island N.C. 27950
- Coinjock Public Boat Launch – 385 Waterlily Road, Coinjock N.C. 27923
- Cason Point, Knotts Island – Knotts Island, N.C. 27950
- The Pelican Marina – 48 Camden Causeway, Elizabeth City, N.C. 27909
- DB City Marina – 340 Camden Causeway, Elizabeth City, N.C. 27909
- Hoffler Creek Wildlife Foundation – 4510 Twin Pines Rd. Churchland 757-686-8684
- First Landing State Park: Bay Entrance – 2500 Shore Drive 23451
- First Landing State Park: 64th Street Entrance – Lake Smith Fishing Station, Shell Road 23451
- Lake Smith – Lake Smith Fishing Station, Shell Road 23455
- Little Creek Reservoir – 5371 U.S. Route 13 23455
- Owls Creek Boat Ramp – 717 General Booth Blvd. 23451
- Lotus Garden Park – 1289 Sandbridge Road 23456
- Horn Point – 1008 Horn Point Road 23456
- Princess Anne Wildlife Management Area – Back Bay Landing Road 23457
- Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge – 4005 Sandpiper Road 23456
- Little Island District Park – 3820 Sandpiper Road 23456
- Munden Point Park – 2001 Pefley Road 23457
- Lesner Bridge Launch – 3576 Piedmont Circle 23455
- Hutton Circle Launch – Hutton Circle 23454
- Elizabeth River at Carolanne Farm – 375 Challedon Drive 23462
- West Neck Marina – 3985 West Neck Road 23456
- Doziers Bridge – Princess Anne Road 23464
- Blackwater Trading Post – 5605 Blackwater Road 23457
- Pocaty River Boat Launch – 4132 Blackwater Road 23457
- Stumpy Lake – 4797 Indian River Road 23456
- N Muddy Creek Road – 1500-1552 N Muddy Creek Road 23456
- Indian River Road – 2071-2237 Indian River Road 23456
- Eco Discovery Park – 2054 Jamestown Road 23185
- Waller Miller Park – 104 Charles River Landing Road 23185
- York River State Park – 5526 Riverview Road 23188
- Back Creek Park Back Creek Park, Yorktown 23692
- Powhatan Creek Park and Blueway – 1831 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg 23185
If you don’t have a kayak or are visiting the area, here are some companies that offer tours and rentals.
The Northwest River is a cypress forest in Chesapeake. Kayak through islands in Chesapeake’s Great Dismal Swamp. AdventureKayakTours.net. Flatwater adventures tour. Call 757-237-8776 or email email@example.com.
Smith Creek is surrounded by a cypress forest. Kayak and experience wildlife as you head toward North Carolina on the southern part of the Northwest River. AdventureKayakTours.net. Flatwater adventures tour. Call 757-237-8776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smith Island/Eastern Shore
Paddle through Raccoon Island, the Magothy Channel, Blackbeard’s Creek and Smith’s Island. Explore the Cape Charles Lighthouse and World War II watchtowers. Tours are 2.5 to 4 hours. Advanced reservations required. Trip times and availability dependent on tides. AdventureKayakTours.net. Coastal adventures tour. Call 757-237-8776 or email email@example.com.
Launch from a remote area (no bathroom) and paddle through salt marsh behind the Barrier Islands to the Metompkin Island. Have lunch on the Altantic Coast Beach, relax and swim while you are there and return along the same route. Total paddle time is about 2.5-3.5 hours. Kayak Nature Tours. Call 757-480-1999 to make reservations.
Knotts Island N.C./Carova wild horses adventure
Launch from Knotts Island and cross 2.75 miles to Knotts Island Bay. View wild horses, otters and birds alongside Currituck National Wildlife Refuge. Explore the community of Carova and return to Knotts Island in the afternoon. Coastal adventures tour. AdventureKayakTours.net. Call 757-237-8776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merchants Millpond State Park
Explore cypress and gum trees covered in Spanish moss and view wildlife such as the American alligator. Flatwater adventures tour. AdventureKayakTours.net. Call 757-237-8776 or email email@example.com.
Kayak camping adventures
Kayak and camp in the Great Dismal Swamp, Lake Drummond or Merchants Millpond State Park. Basic restrooms, camp space, trash cans, screened porches and charcoal grills are provided on site. Guided two-day/one-night tour and camping equipment rental available. AdventureKayakTours.net. Custom Adventures tour. Call 757-237-8776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dismal Swamp/Lake Drummond
Paddle through the Great Dismal Swamp, the Feeder Ditch and all the way to Lake Drummond. Flatwater adventures tour. AdventureKayakTours.net. Call 757-237-8776 or email email@example.com.
West Neck Creek
Launch from West Neck Marina and view wildlife such as osprey, great heron, orioles, eagles, deer, otters, nutria, fish and more. AdventureKayakTours.net. Flatwater adventures tour. Call 757-237-8776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back Bay (Sandbridge)
Back Bay Wildlife Refuge is near Sandbridge in Virginia Beach. Start in a freshwater creek and kayak to Ashville Bridge Creek, South Muddy Creek and Cypress Alley. View wildlife such as whitetail deer, owls, turtles and snakes. Flatwater adventures tour. AdventureKayakTours.net. Call 757-237-8776 or email email@example.com.
Enjoy the thrill of kayaking with Atlantic bottle-nosed dolphins off the coast of Virginia. During the tour, also get the chance to see osprey, pelicans and other wildlife. Two-hour tour $60. 4-person minimum. Chesapean Outdoors. 757-961-0447.
First Landing State Park
Kayak through still waters to see blue heron, ospreys, egrets, king fishers and other animals. Midway through the tour we land the kayaks at the base of an old dune formation and take a short hike through the forest to view nature. Then head back along the shoreline to view ancient oyster beds and new beds as part of a conservation effort to restore oysters in the Lynnhaven River basin. $55 per person. 4-person minimum. Chesapean Outdoors. 757-961-0447.
Enjoy a beautiful sunset paddle along the Chesapeake Bay where you will see dolphins and bird species. Paddle along Cape Henry Lighthouses, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the Lynnhaven Inlet during sunset. This is a scenic and relaxing tour. $60 per person. 4-person minimum. Chesapean Outdoors. 757-961-0447.