You probably know you can borrow books for free with a library card from Virginia Beach Public Library. But there’s a lot more available! In honor of National Library Week, April 12 to 18, here are 10 things you can do for free at VBPL:
- See a 3-D printing demonstration. VBPL has two 3-D printers that are used in a variety of programs and demos.
- Attend free classes and programs: VBPL offered 5,750 for all ages in fiscal year 2014.
- Check out a video game.
- Download e-books, audiobooks, magazines, music, movies and TV at www.VBgov.com/downloadables.
- Help your child prepare for kindergarten by participating in VBPL’s curriculum-based preschool storytime series.
- Meet one-on-one with a job coach and get help with resume-writing.
- Meet one-on-one with a technology guru and learn to use your new mobile device.
- Find free tax preparation assistance, January to April, through AARP tax aides.
- Learn new skills using VBPL’s online resources like Rosetta Stone (foreign languages), Lynda.com (business, software, technology) and more.
- Attend a genealogy class at Central Library and trace your roots.
Library cards are free for Virginia Beach residents. Stop by any VBPL location and get one today. For details about VBPL and its programs, classes and resources, visit www.VBgov.com/libraries.
And if you can’t wait to head to the library for the 3D printing demonstration, check out this time-lapse of one of the Virginia Beach printers making a chain. (If you go to see it yourself, it’ll take closer to 20 minutes.)