It’s perhaps one of the most useful weekends on the shopping calendar — Tax-Free Weekend.
For three days beginning Friday, Aug. 4, shoppers across the Commonwealth can save a little bit of money on certain things, by not having to pay sales tax.
Tax-Free Weekend is especially helpful for parents looking to get ahead on back-to-school shopping.
The Virginia Tax website has a handy list of what is eligible for this weekend’s tax-free sale. This list includes:
- School supplies — less than $20 per qualified item
- Clothing and footwear — $100 or less per item
- Portable generators — $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws — $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories — $60 or less per item
- Energy Star or WaterSense products for home or personal use — $60 or less per item
A detailed rundown of what is considered a “qualified item” can be found at this list.
Tax-Free Weekend ends Sunday, Aug. 6 at 11:59 p.m.
Those who want to help students in need can also grab extra supplies and donate to WAVY-TV 10’s Operation School Supplies campaign.
For more than two decades, WAVY and its partners have collected notebooks, paper, and other supplies that students need for the upcoming school. Last year, more than 50,000 items were donated.
Click here to learn more about how you can help.