Tuesday is National Pet Day, a whole day dedicated to celebrating our furry and feathery friends.
National Pet Day encourages pet owners to give some special attention to pets who may be in need, such as those recovering from illness or are living in shelters and still waiting to find their forever home.
Here’s how some people online are honoring their pets on their special day:
— Hampton VA Police (@HamptonVAPolice) April 11, 2017
— U.S. Coast Guard (@USCG) April 11, 2017
— U.S. Forest Service (@forestservice) April 11, 2017
You can share photos of your beloved pets by emailing ReportIt@wavy.com!
The holiday’s official website suggests the following ways to celebrate:
1. Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills.
5. Have a National Pet Day party and celebrate all your pets!