Newport News Public Schools has announces that their graduation rate has reached an all-time high! NNPS’ 2016 on-time graduation rate is 92.1%, up from 72.9% in 2008.
During the same period, the dropout rate decreased from 12% to 2.4% for the class of 2016. NNPS’ dropout rate is lower than the state average of 5.3. The on-time graduation rate monitors a cohort of high school students entering ninth-grade and assesses the graduation and dropout rates of these students four years later.
Graduation rates at all Newport News high schools:
• Achievable Dream High School’s graduation rate is 100%, up from 96.3% in 2015.
• Denbigh High School’s graduation rate is 89.3%, up from 88% in 2015 and 69.5% in 2008.
• Heritage High School’s 2016 graduation rate is 88.2%, up from 83.5% in 2015 and an increase of nearly 10 percentage points when compared to 2008 (73.7%).
• Menchville High School’s graduation rate is 90.7%, up from 88.8% in 2015, and 73% in 2008.
• Warwick High School’s graduation rate is 91.5%, up nearly three percentage points from last year (88.6%), and 64.6% in 2008.
• Woodside High School’s graduation rate is 96.4%, a two percentage point increase when compared to 94.4% in 2015, and up over 13 percentage points when compared to 2008 (83%).
(numbers courtesy of Newport News Public Schools)
NNPS Graduation coaches are assigned to each high school to identify, assist, encourage, and connect students at risk of not graduating with the options and resources they need to be successful.