Right here in Hampton Roads, the Norfolk State University Theatre Company and Division of Drama students have become this year’s most nationally awarded drama & theatre program in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
“It has been an unimaginably amazing year for theatre and drama on our campus. Our drama students have performed and come out victorious at all of the highest levels possible for collegiate theatre, all in one year. It shows them that focus, hard work and dedication to their craft really pays off,” says Norfolk State University Drama and Theatre Company Director Anthony Stockard.
And what a year it’s been. Here’s the list of the program’s incredible accolades:
- 2016 National Award for Best Performance and Production Ensemble award for the production The Brother’s Size.
- 2016 National Award for Distinguished Performance by an Actor in a Play award for theatre performance student, Christopher Lindsay’s performance in The Brother’s Size.
- 2015 Meritorious Achievement Award for Excellence in Directing for Professor Anthony Stockard’s direction of The Brothers Size.
- 2015 Meritorious Achievement Award for Excellence in Lighting & Scenic Design for Professor Anthony Stockard’s lighting and scenic design for The Brothers Size.
- Official Selection for the 2015 National Black Theatre Festival
The National Historically Black College & University (HBCU) Awards
- 2016 National Finalist for Academic Excellence in the Category of Best Fine Arts Program
But these performing Spartans aren’t resting on their laurels. They’ve got an incredible 2016-2017 planned out including No Child… by Nilaja Sun, running September 15-18, A Musical Tribute to Luther Vandross in October, fan favorite musical Langston Hughes’ Black Nativity around the holidays and The Wiz, but you’ll have to wait until April for that.
And there’s so much more! Subscriptions for the upcoming season go on sale July 1st and can be purchased online at www.nsutheatre.com. For more information call 757-823-2154.
Click below to see what these incredibly talented students had to say about their award winning season!