This year’s Virginia Children’s Festival is going to be better than ever. There are a ton of new things to do with your child and you could get in for free!
Your child could be in the Storybook Parade during the Virginia Children’s Festival.! The first 100 participants to register at www.festevents.org and arrive in costume will receive complimentary admission to the Children’s Festival. All children must be accompanied by an adult. One adult will receive a complimentary admission ticket, per child, who is pre-registered and participating in the parade. Additional tickets will be available for purchase for festival guests until 10:30am at the Slover Library the day of the parade (October 3, 2015) and also at the gate entrance into the Virginia Children’s Festival. No scary costumes please, open to participants Ages 0-12.
Regular admission price to the Virginia Children’s Festival is $5.00, infants are free.
The event is Saturday, October 3rd from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Town Point Park.
Here are some of the events that are on the books so far for this fun event:
Ready, Set, Go! Stage
- Performances by BellA Dance
- VA Wild All Stars Cheerleading Demonstrations
- Mad Science–Live Science Experiments
- NEW! Hot House Yoga interactive demonstrations
- Dress up & make your own tiara with Ballet Virginia International.
- The Norfolk Public Library– Back by popular demand … crafts, costume meet and greets from Reading Ranger, Clifford the Big Red Dog and explore the Bookmobile
- Join ODU Physics and check out a hands-on interactive physics lab.
- Go crazy with science! At the Mad Science of Hampton Roads tent doing hands on experiments with chemical reactions, dry ice and electricity. See them in action on stage as well!
- Check out the instrument petting zoo and strolling musicians with Symphonicity, the Symphony Orchestra of Virginia Beach.
- Create your own wearable art using the MOCA button machine at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art station.
- Make a bookmark at REACH.
- NEW! Come meet Salty the Sea Dog and celebrate our connections with today’s maritime world with fun crafts and experiments with the Nauticus Museum.
- Quench your thirst and learn about doing something sweet from your friends at the Farm Fresh Community Lemonade Stand for CHKD.
- NEW! The official Virginia Is For Lovers LOVE letters will be onsite during the Virginia Children’s Festival! Come help us share the message by taking your photo in front of the letters and posting the photo to social media with the hashtag #VALOVE.
- NEW! Make a button with The Mariners’ Museum.
WHRO Lights! Camera! Action! Stage
- NEW! The Hurrah Players will be performing selections from their fall Show, The Wizard of Oz.
- WHRO See your favorite characters from PBS live on stage!
- NEW! Virginia Stage Company presents The Selfish Giant.
- NEW! Are you ready to rock, rock, rock? Star of PBS and the new hit single Recess Rocks, Steve Songs will be performing a rocking show for all ages.
- Pirates from the Moody Crewe! Learn about a pirates’ life at their School for Pirates!
- Dress up like royalty in the Princess Pavilion.
- Home Depot Building Zone – simply make and take projects!
- Young Audiences of Virginia will be hosting fun make and take crafts for kids of all ages.
- Eskabubble- Pop Star Experience Sing- Along.
- Play-Doh Island Imagination Station!
- Get cookin’ with Young Chef’s Academy.
- Legoland! Put your creative thinking cap on and build a structure.
- Get your diva-doo at the Pigtails and Crewcuts salon!
- Observe a live hive and Queen Bee with Tidewater Beekeepers.
- KinderCare Learning Center- Fabulous face painting and sassy science segments.
- Paint your own ceramic with Color Me Mine.
- Get moving with Little Gym!
- NEW! Catch a story at the Barnes and Noble Book Nook featuring the Hungry Caterpillar.
- Get crafty with the Norfolk Botanical Garden!
- NEW! Make an animal mask and learn about what it takes to take the stage with the Virginia Opera.
- Town Point Train Depot… CHOO CHOO!! Take a ride on the Town Point Express (at an additional cost).
- Visit Mommy’s Retreat and learn about all the healthy options McDonald’s has to offer. Cook up something yummy in the imaginary kitchen, and meet & greet with Ronald McDonald himself!
- Blow bubbles with the Virginia Children’s Museum at their station.
- NEW! Sound Vision Studio will make you a rock star in a recording studio and giving you the opportunity to lay down some fresh beats of your own.
- Make a friend and blow bubbles with the Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast!
Fitness Fun Zone
- NEW! Be on the lookout for the “FNV” Fruits n’ Veggies Mobile Farmers Market on Wheels with “baby carrots on board”
- NEW! Children’s Boot camp and obstacle course with the YMCA.
- Play larger than life lawn games like Twister, Connect Four and Cornhole.
- Toys and tikes galore in a gated area for our younger festival guests! Climb, jump, run & skip in this festival playground in the NEW Festival Baby Ball Pits! To enter, toddlers must be 3 feet tall or shorter.