The snow is already falling, but we were all in short sleeves last week!
Needless to say, you may be behind in winter preparations for your home.
Here’s a checklist to keep your heating costs down this winter, assuming the cold weather sticks around! After all, we are in Hampton Roads. You never know!
- Block off drafty vents to your attic, basement, and doorways and window frames.
- Double check furnace filters
- Run your fan clockwise (reverse of usual) to circulate warm air
- Get an estimate for a heating system tune-up
- Set reasonable thermostat settings
- Insulate your windows with plastic
- Beef up caulking and weather stripping
- Layer clothing instead of knocking up the thermostat
- Add insulation if you need to
- Insulate your pipes
- Drain irrigation systems and hoses
- If you rent, check in with your landlord for recommended preps for the property
- Make sure you know where fuses and shut-off valves are
- Have candles and flashlights hand just in case ice brings down power lines
- Make sure you have rock salt or environmentally-friendly ice melter on hand
Luckily, most of these preps are pretty inexpensive. Check your local hardware store for relatively inexpensive insulation, weather stripping, and plastic solutions.
Did we miss anything? Let us know! email@example.com