Grammy-winning artist Bruce Hornsby and the Virginia Arts Festival present the first ever Funhouse Fest 3-day music festival!
I chatted with the Public Relations Director for the Virginia Arts Festival, Cynthia Carter West, about this exciting new event.
- Q: Annaka Chesnutt, FOX 43
- A: Cynthia Carter West, Public Relations Director for the Virginia Arts Festival
How did the concept for FunHouse Fest come about?
Our Executive director, Rob Cross, was looking for some new and innovative things to do for the 20th season. He’s known Bruce Hornsby for many years and we thought, what better way to celebrate than to see if Bruce would do a concert! So Rob got in touch with him and Bruce then took it a step further contemplating an outdoor festival. Bruce agreed to curate it and has gathered his friends and people he’ s worked with for a long time in the business and helped develop the entire 3-day fest!
FUNHOUSE FEST LINEUP :
Friday, June 24
- Gates open at 6 p.m., Performances begin at 7:15 p.m.
- Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder
- Greensky Bluegrass
Saturday, June 25
- Gates open at 1 p.m., Performances begin at 4 p.m.
- Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers, performing albums The Way It Is and Rehab Reunion in their entirety
- Colvin & Earle
- Railroad Earth
- DeJohnette Coltrane Garrison
Sunday, June 26
- Gates open at 1 p.m., Performances begin at 3 p.m.
- Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers
- The Taj Mahal Trio
- Aoife O’Donovan
Besides listening to great music, what are some other things fest goers can experience?
We will have some great food vendors out there and tons of beer and wine for sale. People can come in and out of the festival as they please and check out Williamsburg’s Merchant Square; which has great restaurants, shopping and more!
- There will be artist merchandise for sale throughout the site.
- There’s a great shuttle service from the visitors center, so you don’t have to worry about parking – we want to make it easy for people to enjoy what’s going on
Any Other surprises or details you want to mention?
If you come one day or all 3 days you are going to get to hear Bruce Hornsby. Friday night he will take the stage with Ricky Skaggs then Saturday, Bruce and the Noisemakers will play their entire album ‘ The Way It Is,’ which is his first Grammy-winning album, then they will come back and play their entire new album beginning to end which debuted on June 17.
- Three-Day, Single-Day, and Elite Experience Packages can be purchased online at www.vafest.org, by phone at 757-282-2822 (Toll Free: 877-741-ARTS), or in person at the Festival Box Office at 440 Bank St., Norfolk, Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Single-Day Festival passes can be purchased in person with no service fees at the Williamsburg Municipal Building (Finance Dept.), 401 Lafayette Street, Williamsburg, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Funhouse Festival Single-Day passes can also be purchased day of the events, June 24-26, 2016, at the Funhouse Festival Box Office, on the lawn of the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg.
Get out there early, wander around and settle in for some great music.